Share

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Wednesday World Coins and Currency - WWI Emergency Tokens

Left to Right: Perpignan - France 5 Centimes, Mainz - Germany 10 Pfennig, Gunzenhausen - Germany 20 Pfennig


Hello readers! Here's something that I picked up from the foreign coin bin at a shop that I went to in Michigan.  These are 3 out of 442 coins that I picked up from the box, it basically came to 4 cents a coin, which is a complete steal, considering the fact that these coins are actually worth quite a bit!  Unfortunately I do not have a lot of information about these coins except that I know that the German coins (Mainz and Gunzenhausen) are Notgeld and the French coin (Perpignan) is an emergency token.  Here are the stats!

Perpignan 5 Centimes - Dated 1921, made from aluminum.  The obverse of the coin has what I presume are the former coat of arms of the City of Perpignan, France.  The reverse of the coin says "Chambre Syndicale Des Commercants", which in English would mean Chamber of Commerce, and also the denomination, 5 Centimes.  All that I know is that these tokens were made to fill the need for small change after the first World War.  This particular coin goes for around $5.00 online in XF condition.  I'm just going to say that this one is probably around a F-VF condition, and maybe worth a $1.00 - $2.00.  Still for 4 cents, it was a good find because you won't find too many of these.

Here's a wikipedia article on Perpignan if you're interested: Perpignan - Wikipedia

Mainz 10 Pfennig - Dated 1918, made from iron.  The obverse of this coin has the current coat of arms of the City of Mainz, Germany which depicts two five-spoked silver wheels connected by a silver cross..  The reverse shows the number 10 and the date 1918.  This coins is nearly 100 years old and is still in pretty good shape, VG-VF in my opinion.  These coins go for around $8.00-$12.00 in the condition that you see here.  Also another great find for the money! I love cherry picking!

Here's a wikipedia article on Mainz if you would like to see where it's located: Mainz - Wikipedia

Gunzenhausen 20 Pfennig - No date (Minted in 1917), made from zinc (a very popular wartime metal for coinage).  The obverse has again, what I presume to be the coat of arms for the City of Gunzenhausen, Germany.  The reverse is very simple and only depicts the number 20.  This was the first of the 3 coins that I found when I went looking for good deals.  I have a habit of always looking at the zinc coins first and then looking for unusual coins afterwards.  This one happens to be in pretty good shape and also the oldest of the three.  I would say its about VF-XF, you still see lots of detail and very few dents or scratches.  This was going online for approximately $15.00 in this condition.  Once again, another great find in the foreign coin bins!

Here's a very short article on Gunzenhausen: Gunzenhausen - Wikipedia

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment