Share

Friday, August 24, 2012

Friday Free Finds - Canada 2012 Olympic Lucky Loonie ($1) 5-Pack


Here's something different for Friday Free Finds, and in a way, they were free, so here's the story!

I ordered these about a month ago, 4 hours after they were released for general sale on the Royal Canadian Mint website.  I got them yesterday (Thursday), it took FOREVER!  The purchase was impulsive yet it was also by chance.  I tend to roam the websites of world mints all the time, but it had been about a week since I looked at the RCM's website and by chance they just released the coin for sale so I jumped the bandwagon and got as many as I could since they sell out so fast!  The terms of the sale is what is quite interesting; first of all - free shipping.  Free shipping anywhere in Canada is a big BIG deal, almost no one seems to do it! Second, no tax, since its for sale by a pseudo-governmental agency.  Third, I only had to pay face value! Yes, it is very true that you you only had to pay face value for the coins, so $5 per pack, with a limit of 3 per household.  They started doing this late last year and has continued to do this type of sale of general circulation coins.  I got lucky! I bought 3 packs for $15+free shipping! They sold out about 5 days later and its only available for sale to Canadian Residents. 

So this coin, made from the new plated steel material with the new enhanced security features was created to commemorate the 2012 London Olympics.  It has been a tradition since the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens that the RCM produce a lucky loonie to give and send with all of the Canadian athletes participating in the games.  They also produce lucky loonies for general circulation and in silver for collectors.  I thought these were really cool so now I have 3 sets of them!  I was checking eBay to see what they were going for, and not surprisingly, they were going for twice what people paid, but to be honest, $10 is not much to pay for 5 loonies nicely sealed up and in uncirculated condition!  So, on a technicality, this was somewhat free! Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment