Share

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Saturday Random Day - Norway 1/2 Skilling 1867

Well, it's been a while since I did a Saturday Random Day, so here we go!  Here are the stats:

Norway 1/2 Skilling
Date: 1867
Mint: Kongsberg, Norway
Grade: VF - XF
KM#: 329
Weight: N/A
Content: 100% Copper
Catalog Value:  $6.50 - 15.00

So this is 1 of 12 finds that I picked up in Chicago.  I got it for $0.25 so this is a real keeper! I went to this same shop last year and I found silver coins sitting in his foreign coin bin for only 25 cents, so I bought all of them.  Hoping that he would still have silver, I went back, but unfortunately he doesn't do it anymore, with the obvious reason that silver is pretty expensive now (well not as expensive at it's height last year).  Back to the coin, just from the sight of it, it almost looks like it would be AU, but I had to come back on that because of the dent on the reverse and the oxidation on the coin.  Otherwise, this thing is in great shape, would've been nice if it was completely free and clear of any sort of damage, but regardless I picked up a pretty decent coin for next to nothing.  If anyone is familiar with the former monetary system of Norway, 120 Skilling = 1 Speciedaler, so it would take 240 of these to make a Speciedaler, much like the former decimal system in the U.K. and it's former colonies. 

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment