Share

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Friday Free Finds -1961 Canadian 12-Sided Nickel & 2011 Presidential Dollars

Pictured Above:
1. United States - James Garfield - 2011 - P - Presidential $1
2. United States - Rutherford B. Hayes - 2011 - P - Presidential $1
3. Canada - Laurate Portrait - 1961 - 12-Sided Nickel


So it's been a slow week for Friday Free Finds, and it's also Saturday, so my post is a little late, but forgive me, I've been running a little behind this week.  Regardless, the change in my pockets weren't so full, and hence, the finds were only somewhat amusing.  I received the two Presidential Dollar coins at the border.  They just raised the toll which I'm not too happy about, 75 cents on the U.S. side and 50 cents on the Canadian side, so now I get one dollar coin less and instead, it's replaced by a quarter.  The Canadian 12-Sided Nickel was received as change at a local Mac Convenience Store (a Canadian take on the 7-11) when I purchased a bottle of Canada Dry Ginger Ale (which is free from corn syrup here).  Here are the stats:

United States of America
Presidential Series - $1
Date:2011
Mint: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Grade: UNC
KM#: 502
Weight: 8.07g
Content: Copper - Zinc - Manganese - Nickel Clad
Catalog Value: $2.00 in MS-63

United States of America
Presidential Series - $1
Date: 2011
Mint: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Grade: UNC
KM#: 501
Content: Copper-Zinc-Manganese-Nickel Clad
Catalog Value: $2.00 in MS-63 

Canada
12-Sided Nickel
Date: 1961
Mint: Royal Canadian Mint, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Grade: XF-40 (Notice the shoulder folds and the detail on the hair)
KM#: 50a
Weight: 4.59g
Content: Nickel 100%
Catalog Value: Face value =(


Happy Friday/Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. Odd that you posted a 1961 Canadian nickel and I just happened to buy a 1960 Canadian nickel today. I like the 12 sided design. It's a good way to ensure the coin won't roll away. Well, far away anyway. Nice finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I like the 12-sided nickels a lot too. They feel like they were made better back then! Finding a 12-sided nickel in Canada is like finding a wheat penny or a wartime nickel.

      We should make a trade forum... then you wouldn't have to buy, and you could get rid of all you extras! I've got toooooo many extras! But coin hoarding seems to be my other hobby! =)

      Delete
    2. Finding a wheat cent is way easier than finding a wartime nickel, for me anyway. As for the forum it would be something like a Craigslist for coins and other numismatic items, right? If so it sounds like a very good idea and we should definitely try to get something together for that.

      Delete