Share

Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday Free Find - 1934 D $5 Silver Certificate

United States of America
$5.00 Silver Certificate
Series 1934 D
Pick 414A(d)
Catalog Value: $6.50 in F
Redemption and Use Ceased in 1963 by Act of Congress
Signatures of Georgia Nesse Clark (Treasurer of U.S.) & John Wesley Snyder (Secretary of Treasury)


Finally, something really special found TODAY on a FRIDAY! This made my entire day! I got this at 6:30 this morning as change from buying some coffee and doughnuts at the local Dunkin' Donuts close to where I work! I was in a rush this morning and only saw the back of the note and figured that it was only an older $5 that I see every once in a while.  To my surprise, when I actually had a chance to check out what was in my wallet, I noticed the tell-tale signs of a silver certificate (BLUE SEALS)!!!!  Now, I was going to post something different for Friday Free Finds today, some stuff that I found earlier this week, but I guess that will have to be put off until tomorrow!
 
To those who are unfamiliar with Silver Certificates, once upon a time in America, there were 3 types of circulating currency; per se. There were Gold Certificates (redeemable in gold), Federal Reserve Notes (what is currently circulating) and Silver Certificates (pictured above, redeemable in silver).  Gold Certificates were created to represent the actual amount of gold held by the U.S. Government.  When the U.S. was taken off the gold standard in 1933, gold certificates were withdrawn from circulation and were made illegal to possess (until 1964 when restrictions were lifted).   Silver Certificates were similar to Gold Certificates in that you could redeem them for silver and they also met the same fate as the Gold Certificates and were eliminated in 1963 by an act of Congress.  You will find far more Silver Certificates in circulation than Gold Certificates, but you can still find Gold Certificates (with their signature Gold Seals) in higher denomination notes like $50's and $100's, just ask the guys at your local gas station, I'm sure they've run into a few and kept them! Silver certificates can be easily spotted, as mentioned earlier, they have a Blue Seal.  Some Silver Certificates command very high prices, especially in CU condition or a Star Note, but the rest are quite common and aren't worth much more than face. 

Happy last 20 minutes of Friday!

3 comments:

  1. There were also United States Notes with their way too easy to spot red seals. Very nice find! If you ask me the coin gods are too kind to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the coin gods favor me because I tend to follow old people lol! Dunkin' Donuts at 6:30 in the morning... tons of older folk having a chat about the things going on around town and pulling out that 70 year old bill they found under the couch and spending it on some good ol' coffee!

    I have been lucky... I was awestruck this morning... I'm going to go to the bank and buy $1000 worth of $1's or $5's and go through them, and see what I come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tis true. Once my grandmother gave me a jar of change that had around 30 wheat cents in it. Maybe you should start a blog called "My Thousand Dollars Worth" where you go through a thousand dollars of bills and see what you get. It would be pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete