Share

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Saturday Random Day - Thailand


So I'm already breaking my own rules to blogging, but guess what, I was going to post this yesterday, but decided not to.  Regardless, what you see here are the newest additions to my collection and the latest update to Thai coinage.  Granted, the new obverse images were released in 2008 and 2009, they are still new to Thai people and you won't find too too many in circulation.  These gems were given to me by my fiancees mother, not father! She too knows about my passion and love for coins, and so, she sent the maid out to go get some pocket change and buy some stuff, and as a result, I ended up with around 300 Baht worth of Thai coins. I plucked out the older ones and only wanted to show you guys the new face of Thai coinage.

The Facts:
Thai 10 Baht coins: The ones pictured above (bi-metallic) are dated B.E. 2553, 2554, 2555 (2010, 2011, 2012 respectively).  The composition of these coins have not changed from the previous version, the only thing that is different is the obverse.  I actually have a mint-sealed bag of these coins from 2009 with both the new and former obverse images (100 per bag at 1000 Baht for the entire bag).  I'm going to hang on the bag (as I always do) as I believe that one day, it will be worth some money because of how unusual it is to have a bag containing 2 different versions of the same coin.

Thai 5 Baht coins: Pictured to the right of the 10 baht ones, dated B.E. 2551, 2552, 2554, 2555 (2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 respectively).  The metal composition of these coins have not changed BUT, the weight of the coin has.  They reduced the amount of copper and nickel in the coin to save costs which in-turn, made the coin slimmer.  Both the obverse and reverse of the coin has been changed slightly from its predecessor.  Still a great coin!

Thai 2 Baht coins: Pictured below the 10 baht coins, dated B.E. 2553, 2554, 2555 (2010, 2011, 2012 respectively).  These coins are my second favorite Thai coins.  Reason being is that they are highly unpopular in Thailand and when I lived there the first time, they didn't even exist.  When the first 2 Baht coin was released for general circulation, it was made from nickel plated steel.  The coin was similar is size and color to the 1 Baht coins, which for vendors, made them somewhat confused.  When you do find the original 2 Baht coins, you will usually see a "2" written on the back of the coin in permanent marker.  Now the reason that the coin was only written on the reverse of the coin is due to lese majeste laws in Thailand which makes it illegal to deface currency, especially when defacing currency means drawing on the face of the King; highly disrespectful and in extreme cases, could land you in jail!

Since the coins were so unpopular and vendors kept drawing the number "2" on the reverse of them, the Royal Thai Mint was forced to make a different 2 Baht coin, which are the ones represented above, made from brass.  The reason that the RTM did not want to withdraw the entire issue was due to cost-saving concerns of minting less 1 and 5 Baht coins and using 2 Baht coins to fill the void.  So basically what you see above is a modern failure of a coin, which to me, makes it a very collectible coin! I currently have 300 of the original 2 baht coins that were only minted for 2 years and about 500 of the newer ones.  Yeah, I tend to hoard coins, can't help it!

Thai 1 Baht coins:  Pictured below the 5 Baht coins, dated B.E. 2552, 2553, 2554, 2555 ( 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 respectively). These coins are different from their predecessors in terms of metal content.  They are made from nickel plated steel unlike the former coins, maybe a trade-off for their failure to get the original 2 Baht coin into circulation.  Many of these 1 Baht coins seem to be struck weakly, but unlike the former 1 Baht coins, they don't tend to tarnish as fast as they used to! I have plenty of these, numbering in the 1000's, from all years of production.  Since I have so many of them, I'm going to have to sort out the dates and find the best specimens to put into a display album one day; likely a daunting task!

Thai 50 Satang coins:  Pictured at the very bottom to the left, dated B.E. 2551, 2553, 2552 (2008, 2010, 2009 respectively).  Like the 1 baht coins, the metal contents of these have also changed.  They are made from copper plated steel (I believe) unlike the former 50 Satang coin which looked golden in color, these tend to tarnish VERY quickly once fingers get on them.  If you were a tourist in Thailand, you would likely never run into these coins, along with the 25 Satang coin.  Like the U.S. penny, people generally don't use these coins.  If you wanted to pick some up, you would need to go to a grocery store, like Villa Supermarket, or the grocery stores at Siam Paragon or Emporium.  When my family and I lived in Thailand, we used to go out on Christmas eve and give out the loads upon loads of these 50 and 25 satang coins to the beggars, along with food, clothing, a blanket and about $10 cash.  When I see these coins, it always gives me a sense of nostalgia, and gives me a good feeling that we tried to help some people in desperate need.  It was a way for my mother to give back to the people and the country that temporarily adopted her and made her life extremely fun and enjoyable.  The next time I go back, I think I will follow in her footsteps and give back to the Thai people, maybe donate some of my time at an orphanage, donate some money to a charity or feed the monks.  Thailand to me is a heavenly place!

Thai 25 Satang coins: Pictured at the very bottom to the right, dated B.E. 2551, 2553, 2554 (2008, 2010, 2011 respectively).  Not to make the story short of anything, but basically what can be said of these coins would be exactly the same as the 50 Satang coins.  The metal contents have changed from the former coin to a copper plated steel coin.  What's interesting is that they are worth slightly less than 1 U.S. cent. If you ever have a chance to go to the Royal Thai Mint (which is a one day adventure to a part of Bangkok that is not on the typical tourist map) I would highly advise doing so.  When I went there, I picked up about $50 worth of Thai coins, and relating to this coin, I picked up 2 bags of these 25 Satang coins, which contain 400 coins per bag for 100 Baht (3.33 US$).  You get a lot of coins for a few bucks, but not only that, almost no one abroad has a bag of these gems, so you get that rarity aspect too!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment