Share

Friday, July 13, 2012

Friday Free Finds - 6 - Croatia

Pictured left to right: Croatian 5, 10, 20, 50, 50 Lipa, 1, 2, 2, 5 Kuna

If Friday the 13th wasn't freaky enough, I'm already on my 6th post and yet again posting the coins that my fiancees father gave to me.  Let me just clarify this for you if you're confused on how these were brought back to me. My fiancee is Thai, she went back to Thailand for vacation and to visit family and her parents, more specifically, her father, saved these coins from his recent visit to Europe, he went 3 times in 2011 and every time he went there, he kept me and my coin collecting obsession on his mind.  How kind!

I hope I'm keeping my viewers busy with these posts, I really do! Although there are only a few of you at the moment, that's enough to keep me going, but put the word out for me, I want 1 Million views by the end of the year!

Now to the coins, what I have pictured here is are the best specimens that I could find in the coins that were given to me.  Most of them are quite nice, mostly in AU (Almost Uncirculated) condition while the rest are F (Fine) to XF (Extra Fine).  Croatian coins are quite beautiful, the obverse of the coins depict the flora and fauna native to Croatia.  One interesting thing about these coins are the inscriptions on the obverse sides.  They write the name of the animal or plant species in either Croatian or Latin.  A good example of this are the two 50 Lipa coins in the picture.  The 50 Lipa on the left is written in Latin while the one on the right is written in Croatian.  The same can be said with the 2 Kuna coins, the left is in latin and the right is in Croatian!

Despite the fact that Latin is a dying language, Latin is very important in the scientific community.  You will usually find the use of Latin on many coins and currency throughout the world.  For example, the Latin language is all over U.S. currency and coins.  I'm not exactly sure why countries do this, but I always find it interesting.

What I don't have pictured here is the 25 Kuna coin.  I'm not sure if they use them in general circulation or if they are just collectors items, but the National Bank of Croatia has them listed on their site as general circulation coins, which leads me to believe that the 25 Kuna coins are hard to find.  But I could be wrong.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Great coins, the fact you got so many at once is cool.

    I like the blog, my favorite part is your schedule. Having a topic for each day is brilliant better than my randomness, I tend to go with what ever is near or by holiday.

    Great pictures to may I suggest a tip or tutorial on how you made the pics. I want to do one but again I'm not that organized.

    Great blog hopefully you'll stick around for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Thanks "Man"! You know, the schedule was just something that I thought might set me apart, but I actually like your blog very much! The fact that yours is always random keeps me wondering whats around the corner! I think that you should keep it that way, and maybe add the holiday aspect to it! I think if you added a holiday segment, you would give people some insight into the world outside the U.S. and give them something cool to look at!

      As for the tutorial, great idea! I just scan my coins at the moment, maybe we can do one together sometime!

      I will stick around, I'm going to try and commit to this! You've done really well with posting and replying to peoples comments, I'm going to try and do the same! Thanks for being the first person to comment here, it means a lot!

      Thanks!

      Delete