Share

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Friday Free Finds - 8 - Canada



Why "Hello There"! I should've posted this yesterday as it was the perfect thing to post, but I ran out of time and didn't want to go to bed so late, but here they are, 2 Friday Free Finds.  And I did actually find both of these yesterday! How lucky!  So as my Korean lunch is being cooked (Korean style pork belly with rice and sesame oil dipping sauce - yum) I will be posting!

First off, I wanted to give a shout out to all of my readers! So thank you to my visitors from Iowa, Illinois, South Carolina (Dr. Math), Pennsylvania, New York (Man), India (Kulraj), Singapore, Thailand, Canada (myself), Russia, Ireland and Germany.  And yes, I listed IOWA first because I'm a Hawkeye (I bleed Black and Gold), so hello to all my fellow Big 10 people!

Anyways, more about the coins. I got both of these from my fiancee, she got the $2 (toonie) as change yesterday and realized that it was new so she saved it for me, and the dime, well she thought it was just a dime, but I saw it and told her that it was silver; she's still learning!

The $2 coin is one of the newest coins to enter Canadian circulation.  It is the second coin to be made from a new material (multi-ply nickel plated steel and multi-ply brass plated aluminum bronze).  Although it is only the second toonie to be made from this material, it is the first commemorative made from this composition.  The coin is absolutely stunning if you have one in hand.  They used their new laser technology to inscribe the maple leaves, so they look perfect and the top maple leaves have a holographic effect.  Really cool coin!  It commemorates the War of 1812, when the United States tried to invade what is now Canada to take it over and take out British interests in North America.  Unfortunately, it was unsuccessful (for the United States), but this coin is really representing the peace between the two countries and commemorates those who thwarted the American attack.  This coin commemorates the involvement of the H.M.S. Shannon, a famous ship from the War of 1812.  There will be 4 more coins coming out within a year and they will be quarters.  If you were lucky enough to buy these from the Royal Canadian Mint website (and you lived in Canada), you would've been able to purchase this coin in a set of 5 in a blister pack for $10 with shipping free of charge!  They did the same thing with the newly released Lucky Olympic Loonie (released 7/19/12), I was in time and bought 3 packs of them for $15, they're going to run out in the next few days, so act fast!

The dime that you see is also quite special.  It's fairly rare that you find silver in your change, but even more when you find a silver centennial dime.  The dime was created to commemorate the centennial anniversary of Canadian Confederation (in 1867), which at the time did not include Newfoundland.  Newfoundland had it's own distinct coinage until 1949 when it joined Canada.  Anyway, the design on the obverse is the Tiara Portrait which went unmodified from 1965 - 1979.  The reverse of the coin has a picture of a Mackerel instead of the typical "Bluenose" ship design along with the double dates 1967-1967.  Also what's interesting about this coin is that in 1967, the price of silver increased so much that the mint had to change the composition from .800 silver to .500 silver with the remainder made from copper.  From the looks of the coin, one is unable to tell the difference between the two, but with a simple check on the scale, a .800 composition coin should weigh 2.33 grams, which this coin checked out to be! This is only the 3rd silver coin that I've found in change, the other two are a dime and a quarter with the laureate portrait of QEII.

Note about the deleted posts:
Sorry that I did not elaborate on why I deleted the posts, but basically, I wanted to alter the photos a bit to thwart anyone using my material for their own pecuniary gain and as an anti-counterfeit measure.  As such, I will eventually re-post the items that were deleted in the coming weeks with upgraded security measures.  I don't want to be on the wrong side of the law, and I don't want to be perpetrating any type of crime via my blog.  Once I get back from my exam and from Chicago, you will see some more new posts, so stay tuned!

Note about new post details:
In the interest of making my blog a little more professional, I will be posting all new photos of my coins and banknotes with their numismatic stats.  Kulraj from "my coin collection" mentioned that I needed more structure, so I will try to keep my posts more uniform in style while still having a story behind the numismatic product itself.  Additionally, I will be taking pictures of my entire collection (which is not at my house, but somewhere safe) for insurance reasons and so that I will always have plenty of material for everyone to look it.  I would welcome everyone to give me some suggestions about the format and style of my posts.  Thanks for any constructive criticism and comments!

-Pockets

No comments:

Post a Comment