Share

Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday Free Finds - Gold Plated Statehood Quarter

This Friday's Free Find is the coin on the right.  It's a 2008-P Oklahoma Gold-Plated Statehood quarter. I got this from a co-worker by accident and they had no idea what it was.  Here's the story; a lady that works with me collects dollar coins, so I told her that when I had enough, I would trade them for a roll of quarters, or $10's worth.  So on Monday, I had $10 worth of dollar coins and she gave me a Brink's plastic roll of quarters.  I immediately took a look at all the rims of the quarters and spotted the gold-plated quarter.  At first, I thought that it was a foreign coin, or maybe even real gold itself, but not to get my hopes up too much, I tried to low-ball it and just say that it was a foreign coin.  So I opened up the roll and saw that it was actually just a gold-plated statehood quarter.  Although it is quite rare to find such a coin in circulation, especially with it's distinctive color, they are somewhat common.  This is the second plated coin that I've found in circulation, the first one was plated in chromium.  It's only worth a dollar as the plating isn't very thick, and it's really just a novelty item as opposed to being a real collectors type of item. 

Additionally, that 1995-D quarter in AU condition was also found in my change this week.  It's becoming harder and harder to find finer specimens of the former quarter in circulation.  The rim is still sharp and the copper looks untouched.  Either way, it's getting saved!

Happy Free Finds!

No comments:

Post a Comment